International Symposium on Sequence Analysis and Related Methods
The International Symposium on Sequence Analysis (SA) and Related Methods - ISSA2018 - will be held in Monte Verita in Switzerland (http://www.csf.ethz.ch/) on October 10–12, 2018. This symposium will bring together the most important established and young contributors to recent developments in SA and related methods. It aims to provide a semi-structured forum within which to share in-depth discussions, and to identify priorities, gaps, and solutions necessary to advance our field.
First, it aims to strengthen our field by reviewing previous achievements in SA and in related methods for the holistic analysis of life courses. To date, SA development has been too scattered and many ad hoc solutions have been proposed. Three decades after the seminal work by Andrew Abbott, there is therefore a need to review and reflect on the progress made so far.
Second, this symposium aims to draw attention to the most important directions for future research for a wider adoption of the SA framework and to set up a research program for SA and its community. Which areas deserve short-term versus long-term attention? Aside from listing possible areas for further development, a discussion on their relative priorities is also expected.
Third, the symposium aims to define the perimeter of SA and its relation to other methods. Promises and prospects of combining SA with other kind of analysis, such as network analysis, spatial analysis, event history analysis or other model-based approaches will be discussed. These combinations are often thought to be one of the most important directions for future research, and some recent methodological contributions have been made in these areas.
Finally, this symposium will be the occasion to found an international society for SA scholars, the “Sequence Analysis Association (SAA),” and to discuss publication strategies for SA research.
- Professor Ingrid Schoon, Professor of Human Development and Social Policy at the Institute of Education, University College London, Research Professor at the Social Science Centre (Wissenschaftszentrum) Berlin, and Visiting Professor at the Royal Netherlands Academy of the Arts and Science.
- Professor Gilbert Ritschard, Professor of Statistics, University of Geneva.
Organization of the symposium
- Start: 10th of October at 9 am. Participants are welcomed on the evening of the 9th of October.
- End: 12th of October at 2 pm.
- Mountain excursion in the afternoon of the 11th of October
- Subsidized room rates are available from Tuesday 9th of October until the morning of Friday 12th of October.
For administrative reasons, the registration is a three-step process:
- Registration and payment of the conference registration fee
- Meals booking and payment (only by credit card)
- Hotel booking and payment (only by credit card for rooms at Hotel Monte Verità)
Please note that for administrative reasons it is very important that this procedure is followed in the correct order. Thank you for your understanding!
Step 1: Registration and Payment of the Registration Fee
Registration fees of 50 CHF should be paid on the CSF website here. The fee for a young researcher is 10 CHF (i.e., non-professor). The submission of an abstract is not mandatory. You can send it to us by e-mail (you might have already done it!). Once you have successfully paid the registration fee with a credit card, you will receive two e-mails:
- The first E-Mail will be sent by the Saferpay Platform and will confirm that payment of the registration fee via credit card has been successful.
- The second E-Mail will be sent by the CSF database and will contain the CONFERENCE CODE, necessary to access the Hotel Monte Verità website for the meals booking and for hotel booking with reduced rooms rates
Use this code for step 2.
ETH Zurich collects the registration fees as collection agent for the host (University of Geneva) and does not provide own services.
Step 2: Meals booking
Once you paid the registration, book and pay for your meals on Monte Verità’s website.
Input the CONFERENCE CODE you have received in the 2nd confirmation email (step 1) to access the meals booking platform.
Once the meal's booking and payment are completed successfully, you will be directed to Monte Verità’s hotel booking page for step 3.
Please note: Meals must be booked and paid latest 15 days prior to arrival. After that date the meal's booking platform will be closed and we will not be able to accept any more bookings.
Step 3: Hotel Booking HOTEL MONTE VERITÀ
Following the directions after booking and paying for your meals, you will reach Monte Verità’s hotel booking platform. You will receive the link by e-mail after booking the meals.
You can check availability and prices and, if you find a room that fits your wishes and budget, you can go ahead and book it at a reduced rate.
- Single rooms are limited and some have a shared bathroom. Please read the room descriptions carefully.
- If you wish to book a shared double room with a colleague, both names must be mentioned at the time of booking.
- If you wish to book a shared double room with an accompanying person (not active participant), both names must be mentioned at the time of booking and you must select the “accompanying person” option (you will have to pay a supplement for this option).
- The rooms via this platform can be booked only for the time of the conference (i.e., 9-12 October 2018).
- If you experience trouble, please contact us. This is often due to one of the following reasons.
- Your credit card can only be used for payments in the country in which it has been issued.
- You have not provided the additional security code (required for VISA and MasterCard).
- Your daily payment limit has already been exceeded.
- Please be sure not to input your 12-digit credit card number in the amount field.
Terms and Conditions
In case of cancelation of the registration, the registration fees are not reimbursed. The cancelation policy for booked meals and bedrooms is dictated by the payment conditions of the Hotel and Conference Centre Monte Verità. Those are given on the Hotel Web page at the moment of booking and payment.
The congress organizers cannot accept any liability for personal injuries sustained, or for loss or damage to property belonging to congress participants (or their accompanying persons), either during, or as a result of, the congress. Registration or accommodation fees do not include insurance. By registering and paying your fees, you accept all the above terms and conditions.
By registering and paying your fees, you accept all the above terms and conditions.
- Chair: Matthias Studer, Geneva School of Social Sciences and NCCR LIVES, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- Anette E. Fasang, Humboldt University Berlin & WZB Berlin Social Science Center, Germany
- Tim F. Liao, University of Illinois, USA
- Raffaella Piccarreta, Bocconi University, Italy