Visiting scholars Invitation Programme
The Swiss National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) LIVES welcomes applications for its Visiting scholars Invitation Programme.
The main objective of this program is to enhance collaborations between LIVES members and international scholars having an interest in life course studies or on the theme of vulnerability.
There is a delay of 6 months to process this request, given that a visa can be necessary in some cases. The two deadlines are: February and September of each year. All request must be made directly to: email@example.com. Once the Director and co-Director have pre-approved the request, the LIVES Board will give the final approval or refusal.
What we offer
We offer a stimulating environment for sharing ideas, expanding networks and pursuing academic activities in a remarkable setting: The Lake Geneva region.
Selected candidates will have part of their stay funded for up to three months, either at the University of Lausanne or the University of Geneva. The main host institution (MHI) takes on the travel costs (economy class) and for part of the monthly rent in a furnished apartment near the MHI.
The MHI also commits to provide the visiting scholar with a work office with the usual utilities, an access to libraries and other university resources, and to assist the visitor for any practical or administrative issues.
Note that the LIVES VIP does not support the visiting scholar’s salary and insurances or any other expenses (e.g., visas, local transportation, participation in conferences, etc.). All the expenses related to the visiting scholar’s family members are not the responsibility of the LIVES VIP.
What we expect
During her/his stay, the visiting scholar is responsible for:
- Being available for meetings with researchers from the NCCR LIVES, either at the MHI or at its partner institutions
- Presenting her/his work in local conferences at least once at the MHI and once at the partner institution (the University of Lausanne or the University of Geneva)
- Preparing a paper for the LIVES Working Papers series
- Delivering a doctoral seminar (12 hours within the time span of two weeks). This seminar is open to all LIVES members
To be eligible to the program, the visiting scholar must (1) have obtained a PhD, (2) hold a teaching or a researcher position at any research institutions, and (3) have a particular interest for the theoretical perspectives or methodological approaches mobilised within the NCCR LIVES.
The selection is performed by the LIVES Board and is based on the visiting scholar’s scientific excellence, and the expertise s/he can bring to the LIVES ongoing research projects. Candidates must apply at the latest on October 1 for the following Spring semester (beginning in January) and on April 1 for the following Autumn semester (beginning in September).
In order to be considered for the position, candidates must signal their interest by e-mail to one of the LIVES Board members (IP leaders) or the team of Directors who will represent them during the selection process. The application must include:
- A letter of motivation which precise the length of stay
- A budget detailing flight and housing costs
- An updated CV which includes a publication list
- The doctoral seminar and conference topics the candidate intend to deliver
- The topic of the publications s/he intends to work on during his/her stay
Welcome to Switzerland!